Engineering Intern - Grade 8
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Engineering Intern - Grade 8
Status: Non-exempt | Variable Hours
Closing Date: Tuesday, February 27th, 2024
*Applications without a resume will be disqualified.
Flexible hours/days- Potential to lead into increased hours for summer.
This position assists the Engineering Department with all department tasks related to city infrastructure and capital improvement projects.
- Uses GPS instruments and GIS programs to create, edit, analyze, and share data.
- Assists in construction observation of projects relating to municipal infrastructure and boulevard improvements.
- References plans, specifications, and standard practices to determine compliance or assist in making necessary corrections.
- Performs, as required, clerical duties such as printing, compiling data, data input, photocopying, phone answering, scanning and filing construction plans or other duties as assigned.
- Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge in mathematics and ability to apply to problem solving.
- Ability to learn industry standard software such as ArcGIS and AutoCAD
- Ability to learn basic standard construction practices.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public
- Ability to sufficiently communicate with co-workers, supervisor, general public, etc. to exchange or convey information and to provide and/or receive work direction.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with working towards the completion of a degree in a course of study related to the position.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or coursework in a related field.
- Possession of or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Applicants who are residents of North Dakota and eligible to claim veteran’s preference must include Form DD-214. Claims for disabled veteran’s preferences must also include Form DD-214 and a letter less than one year old from the Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating disability; claims for preference as the eligible spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran must include Form DD-214, a marriage certificate, and a letter less than one year old from Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indication disability, or the veteran’s death certificate.
- Applicants who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Human Resources at 701-667-3217.
- Applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The City of Mandan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.