Assistant City Engineer - Grade 23
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Assistant City Engineer - Grade 23
Salary: Starting at $39.01/hour (DOE)
Closing Date: Sunday, August 21st, 2022 (All applications will be reviewed after the posting has closed).
*Applications without a resume will be disqualified.
Summary of Position:
This position assists the City Engineer in planning and oversight of all city infrastructure and capital improvement projects.
- Develops construction plans, specifications, and estimates for various street, sidewalk, curb and gutter, water, and sewer projects.
- Updates City of Mandan construction specifications and details.
- Manages inspections and project management tasks for city infrastructure projects.
- Oversees the maintenance of the geographic information system (GIS) database; collects field data; oversees the system updates and preparation of maps.
- Reviews and processes right-of-way permit applications.
- Provides support for the development and implementation of capital improvement project plans for city infrastructure.
- Assists the City Engineer in development of special assessment allocations for projects that are completed using the special assessment method.
- Assists the Public Works Department with infrastructure maintenance or replacement projects.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge Required by position:
- Advanced knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices.
- Advanced knowledge of the construction and maintenance of municipal infrastructure.
- Knowledge of construction project management principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Knowledge of GIS management principles.
- Skill in the development and review of plans and specifications.
- Skill in the management of complex construction projects.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in Civil Engineering or a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship and three to four years of experience in a Civil Engineering related position.
- Certification as a Professional Engineer or ability to obtain within two years of employment.
- Applicants who are residents of North Dakota and eligible to claim veteran’s preference must include Form DD-214. Claims for disabled veteran’s preferences must also include Form DD-214 and a letter less than one year old from the Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating disability; claims for preference as the eligible spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran must include Form DD-214, a marriage certificate, and a letter less than one year old from Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indication disability, or the veteran’s death certificate.
- Applicants who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Human Resources at 701-667-3217.
- Applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The City of Mandan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.