Mechanic - Grade 14
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Mechanic - Grade 14
Salary starting at $21.57/hour
Status: Full-time \ Non-Exempt
Department: Public Works
Closing Date: May 30, 2022
*Applications without a resume will be disqualified.
This position is responsible for the mechanical repair and maintenance of city vehicles and equipment.
- Performs engine, exhaust, electrical, brake, hydraulic, HVAC, transmission, and other repairs on a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Performs scheduled preventative maintenance functions, including checking the condition of and operation of batteries, tires, lights, transmissions, exhaust systems, brakes, etc.; checks and changes fluids and filters.
- Performs a variety of engine diagnostic procedures.
- Performs emergency roadside repairs on vehicles as required; troubleshoots vehicle/equipment failures at job sites.
- Completes required paperwork related to work orders and purchases requests.
- Maintains shop equipment and assigned tools.
- Welds and fabricates parts.
- Researches, orders, and picks up parts as needed.
- Delivers vehicles and equipment to the dealer for repairs.
- Performs small engine repairs.
- Maintains the shop and performs housekeeping duties.
- Required to work various schedules that include days, nights, weekends, and holiday; responds to after-hour emergencies; modified workweeks; subject to on-call hours as assigned. Must be able to report to work within 45 minutes of an after-hours notification.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. Obtaining a valid Class B License with airbrake endorsement is required within the probationary period.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment utilized in the repair and maintenance of a wide variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Knowledge of department and city policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of work safety principles.
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance schedules.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Skill in the diagnosis and repair of a variety of vehicles and equipment.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Applicants who are residents of North Dakota and eligible to claim veteran’s preference must include Form DD-214. Claims for disabled veteran’s preferences must also include Form DD-214 and a letter less than one year old from the Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating disability; claims for preference as the eligible spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran must include Form DD-214, a marriage certificate, and a letter less than one year old from Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indication disability, or the veteran’s death certificate.
- Applicants who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Human Resources at 701-667-3217.
- Applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The City of Mandan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.