Utility Operator I - Grade 12
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Utility Operator I - Grade 12
Salary Range: Starting at $19.19/hour (DOE)
Department: Public Works/Utilities
Closing Date: October 27, 2021 at 5pm
*Applications without a resume will be disqualified.
Summary of Position:
This position is responsible for participating in the maintenance and repair of the water distribution and sewer collection system and of traffic control and streetlight systems.
- Participates in the maintenance and repair of water and sewer mains; locates and repairs main breaks.
- Maintains and repairs lift stations, including pumps, control panels, and valves; rebuilds pumps.
- Inspects, flushes, and repairs fire hydrants; collects samples and records data.
- Cleans sewer lines and manholes.
- Operates jet-vac equipment, backhoe, video equipment, and other equipment as assigned.
- Maintains and repairs traffic control systems; maintains control panels; replaces bulbs.
- Replaces streetlight bulbs and repairs wiring.
- Maintains and repairs storm sewer infrastructure.
- Shuts off water service for delinquent accounts.
- Locates all city-owned utilities as needed.
- Maintains and repairs assigned vehicles and equipment.
- Gathers field data in order to update and maintain maps.
- Participates in snow removal operations.
- Responds to after-hours emergencies.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. Obtaining a valid Class B License with airbrake and N tanker endorsements is required within the probationary period.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain appropriate water distribution and wastewater collection certification. (Class IA and Class I Distribution and Collection certification).
- Knowledge of water distribution and wastewater collection system maintenance and repair principles.
- Knowledge of streetlight and traffic control system maintenance and repair principles.
- Knowledge of equipment operation and maintenance principles.
- Skill in problem solving.
- Skill in the operation of a variety of public works maintenance equipment.
- Skill in the operation of hand and power tools.
- Skill in prioritizing and planning.
- Skill in establishing safe work zones.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Qualified applicants will be invited to participate in a Mechanical Reasoning Assessment and an Integrity Inventory test to be considered further for the position.
- Applicants who are residents of North Dakota and eligible to claim veteran’s preference must include Form DD-214. Claims for disabled veteran’s preferences must also include Form DD-214 and a letter less than one year old from the Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indicating disability; claims for preference as the eligible spouse of a disabled or deceased veteran must include Form DD-214, a marriage certificate, and a letter less than one year old from Dept. of Veteran’s Affairs indication disability, or the veteran’s death certificate.
- Applicants who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Human Resources at 701-667-3217.
- Applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The City of Mandan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.