Building Official - Grade 23
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Building Official - Grade 23
Salary: Hiring Range - $38.32 to $47.90/hour (DOE) (Full Range - $38.32 to $57.48/hour)
Department: Building Inspections
Closing Date: Position will remain posted until filled. Applications received will be reviewed on a weekly basis beginning August 23, 2021.
*Applications without a resume and cover letter will be disqualified.*
Summary of Position:
This position directs the city’s building inspection and plan review functions.
- Performs plan reviews to ensure compliance with building codes and zoning requirements; communicates with builders, property owners, architects, developers, and others to resolve code related issues.
- Conducts site inspections to ensure compliance with plans and codes; maintains related records.
- Makes recommendations for revisions and updates to city building codes and ordinances.
- Develops and oversees departmental budget.
- Develops and implements department policies and procedures as well as department long- and short-range plans.
- Trains, assigns, directs, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines personnel.
- Attends and/or conducts meetings with city staff and external stakeholders.
- Provides customer service; provides information and answers questions; resolves problems.
- Performs related duties.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require three to five years of related experience.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of North Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of certified as a licensed building official and a licensed plans examiner.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain required ICC licenses.
- Knowledge of all relevant building codes.
- Knowledge of building plan review principles and practices.
- Knowledge of building inspection principles and practices.
- Knowledge of budget management principles.
- Knowledge of personnel management principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in reviewing plans and specifications.
- Skill in the conducting building inspections.
- Skill in the research and development of proposed ordinances and codes.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Pursuant to NDCC 31-19.1-02, veterans’ preference does not apply to this position.
- Applicants who may need additional job information or may require accommodation or assistance with the application or interview process should contact Human Resources at 701-667-3217.
- Applicants are subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
- In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- The City of Mandan is an Equal Opportunity Employer.