Equipment Operator I (Cemetery) – Grade 15
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the full-time position of:
Equipment Operator I (Cemetery) - Grade 15.
Salary Hiring Range starting at $18.45 per hour.
Applications without a resume will be disqualified.
Posting will remain open until September 27, 2019 or until position is filled.
1. Description of Work
1.1. General Statement of Duties: Performs skilled work in the operation of light- and heavy-duty maintenance and construction equipment. This position operates assigned equipment in support of the operations of the city cemetery, and performs other related duties as assigned by the Public Works Department. Performs grounds maintenance duties; mows grass, trims trees, cuts weeds, applies herbicides, removes snow, repairs lot markers. Performs building repairs including painting, repairing doors, changing flag, and replacing light bulbs. Maintains grounds maintenance tools and equipment.
1.2. Supervision Received: Works under the direct supervision of the Grounds Maintenance Superintendent.
1.3. Supervision Exercised: May provide guidance to lower level maintenance workers, and laborers. May be a lead person on a project basis.
2. Major Duties
- 2.1.1. Opens and closes graves; prepares graves for memorial services; provides direction to cemetery plots
- 2.1.2. Performs grounds maintenance duties; mows grass, trims trees, cuts weeds, applies herbicides, removes snow, repairs lot markers
- 2.1.3. Answers questions and concerns from the public
- 2.1.4. Maintains grounds maintenance tools and equipment
- 2.1.5. Cleans and maintains Grounds Maintenance shop. Assists with skilled or technical maintenance, major repairs and welding, fabricating parts along with other duties to assure equipment is serviced, maintained, and operational at all times. Such as checks, cleans, services vehicles and equipment; applies grease and changes fluid; keeps records of maintenance performed
2.2. Required to work various schedules that includes nights, weekends, and holidays; respond to after-hours emergencies, modified workweeks, subject to on call hours as assigned, snow removal, wind damage cleanup, and flood damage cleanup
2.3. Performs other duties of a comparable level/type as required
3. Minimum Qualifications
3.1. High school diploma (GED)
3.2. 12 months experience in the operation and limited maintenance of light- and heavy-duty equipment; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
3.3. A valid Class B North Dakota Driver’s License with airbrake endorsement is required within the probationary period.
4. Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
4.1. Considerable knowledge of the operating characteristics and servicing of a variety of light- and heavy-duty automotive and related equipment.
4.2. Considerable knowledge of the work hazards and applicable safety precautions associated with assigned equipment and operations.
4.3. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
4.4. Ability to make minor operating adjustments and to recognize operating deficiencies in assigned equipment.
4.5. Skill in the operation and servicing of one or more types of light- and heavy-duty maintenance and construction equipment.
4.6. Skill in the operation of various tools.
4.7. Skill in communication, interpersonal skill as applied to interaction with co-workers, supervisor, general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to provide and/or receive work direction.
4.8. Knowledge of safety procedures and methods while working with equipment and performing maintenance duties in the public right-of-way.