Building and Grounds Worker - Grade 9
The City of Mandan, North Dakota is currently accepting applications for the position of:
Building and Grounds Worker - Grade 9.
Status: Full-time (30 hours/week).
Salary Hiring Range starting at $13.77 per hour.
Applications without a resume will be disqualified.
Applications will be accepted until July 28, 2019.
1. Job Summary:
1.1. This position is responsible for a variety of maintenance duties for various city buildings, facilities, and structures.
2. Supervision Received:
2.1. This position reports directly to the Senior Building and Grounds Worker. The Senior Building and Grounds Worker assign work in terms of somewhat general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with instructions and established procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
3. Supervision Exercised:
4. Major Duties:
4.1. Performs custodial duties, including cleaning restrooms, sweeping, mopping, waxing floors, vacuuming hallways and stairwells, cleaning entrances and offices, dusting, cleaning windows, setting up meeting rooms, and cleaning carpets.
4.2. Performs minor building repairs, including changing light bulbs, painting, repairing doors, adjusting heating and cooling units, and repairing minor plumbing leaks; calls contractors for major heating and plumbing repairs.
4.3. Performs a variety of grounds maintenance duties, including mowing, fertilizing laws, shoveling snow and apply ice melt; picks up garbage and debris; pulls and sprays weeds.
4.4. Cleans up work areas; locks and unlocks buildings.
4.5. Inventories and orders supplies.
4.6. Maintains records; tracks expenditures for budget.
4.7. Installs and removes Christmas decorations.
4.8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
5. Minimum Qualifications:
5.1. Ability to read, write and perform basic mathematical calculations.
5.2. Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
5.3. Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of North Dakota for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
6. Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
6.1. Knowledge of the maintenance of public buildings and grounds.
6.2. Knowledge of equipment operation and maintenance procedures.
6.3. Skill in the cleaning of public buildings.
6.4. Skill in oral and written communication.
7.1. Guidelines include the workforce safety rules and city policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
8. Complexity/Scope of Work:
8.1. The work consists of related building and grounds maintenance duties. Inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position.
8.2. The purpose of this position is to participate in the maintenance of city buildings and grounds. Success in this position results in safe and well-maintained facilities.
9. The physical requirements of this position are:
9.1. The work is typically performed while standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects and climbs ladders.
- 9.1.1. Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces.
- 9.1.2. Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist. This factor is important if it occurs to a considerable degree and requires full use of the lower extremities and back muscles.
- 9.1.3. Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
- 9.1.4. Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- 9.1.5. Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances.
- 9.1.6. Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
- 9.1.7. Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
- 9.1.8. Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- 9.1.9. Repetitive motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists hand and/or fingers.
9.2. The work is typically performed in city buildings and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals, and occasional cold or inclement weather. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.